Vietspices Search

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Đồ Chua (Carrot and Daikon Pickles)


The classic tangy, sweet, and crunchy carrot and daikon pickles make wonderful condiment for many Vietnamese dishes such as bánh mì (Vietnamese sandwich), rice noodle dish, salad, and many fried dishes. This carrot and daikon pickle are incredible easy to make. I also use the same brine to pickle cucumber and red radish to go along with grilled  chicken wings and pan-fried pork chops.



*
RECIPE: Carrot and Daikon Pickles
*
Ingredients


1 large Carrot
1 Daikon Radish, about same size as carrot
 1 cup cooked Water, room temperature
1/4 cup Vinegar
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
*
Directions

Preparing Carrot and Daikon Radish


Peel and julienne carrot and daikon. Place them in a bowl with a teaspoon of salt. Mix them well with your hands to extract any impurities. Drain and rinse under cold water, then press gently to extract any excess water. 
In a mixing bowl, combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add the carrots and daikons into the brine. Let it sit for about half an hour before eating. Left overs can be stored in the glass mason jar and  kept in the refrigerator for a month.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Ms. Loan, I can't ever thank you enough for sharing these tried and true recipes. When you banh xeo recipe was posted on your Facebook page, I immediately prepared all the fixings do my dad could make it for my mom and sister. He declared it to be the best banh xeo ever! My mom and sister also gave thumb up. LOL. I also made banh beo, Xoi bap from your posts and my dad was very happy with the result. You see, he was a bit of a 'food snob'. Sadly, he passed away this past summer! While I miss him terribly, I treasure those happy 'foodie moment' I shared with him. These happy memories help me endure the pain of losing him. Thank you again for your effort in putting the recipes into words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to learn of your dad's passing. I hope you and your family are well. I'm happy to have contributed in some small ways to your family's sweet moments. Thank you for sharing this with me. Take care of yourself.

      Delete